Dish Name: Octopus/Squid Bolognaise with fresh pasta
Preparation Time: 1hr 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
List of ingredients:
800g diced squid
500g precooked octopus
2 red onions finely diced
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp fennel seeds
250ml white wine
250ml balsamic vinegar
500ml fish stock
3 tbsp. soya sauce
3 tbsp. oyster sauce
454g tin of tomatoes
100g of each basil, coriander and parsley
250g 00 flour
12.5ml olive oil
11g egg yolk
Steamed mussels, diced tomatoes, basil oil.
Method of preparation:
- Sauté fennel seeds, red onion, roast red pepper and garlic in olive oil for two mins.
- Add diced squid cook for 4-5 minutes, add white wine and balsamic vinegar.
- Reduce by a third, add fish stock, fish sauce, soy and oyster sauce. Cook for 4-5 mins.
- Add tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and cook for 1 hour.
- For the last 5 minutes add the cooked octopus to the sauce.
- Finish with a freshly chopped coriander, parsley and basil.Check for seasoning.
- Place flour, salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Combine egg, egg yolk, water and oil together.
- Add the liquid mix to the pasta. Mix well to develop gluten and create a soft smooth dough.
- Allow to relax for 30 minutes before rolling out into 2mm thin pasta sheets.
- Cook to order in boiling salted water.
- Layer the cooked pasta sheets with the bolognaise mix.
- Finish with some basil oil and diced tomatoes and steamed mussels.
Name of the Training college: Galway International Hotel School, GMIT
Address: Dept of Culinary Arts
Contact Name: Ashley Shanya
School Profile: The Department of Culinary Arts operates from its campus in Galway city. It is committed to providing a dynamic student-centered learning environment in the many pathways available in culinary arts.