Dish Name: Spiced Squid, Nori and Rice Salad and Carrot and Ginger Dressing
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
List of ingredients:
340g squid scored on both sides
5g fish sauce
5g ginger, minced
5g garlic, crushed
5g sambal chilli sauce
2.5g lime zest
4 sprigs of coriander, leaves picked
5ml grapeseed oil
1 lime, juiced
Nori and Rice Salad
200g long-grain rice, cooked and cooled
95g black rice, cooked and cooled
1 avocado, stone removed, cut into 1 cm (½ in) cubes
50g Japanese pink pickled ginger
1 cucumber, quartered, seeds removed, and flesh diced
2 handfuls of mangetouts
10g dried seaweed, soaked in water to rehydrate then roughly chopped
1 tbsp white sesame seeds
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
50g garlic cloves chopped
2.5g ground coriander
450g thinly sliced carrots
600ml fresh carrot juice
120ml double cream.
1 nori (seaweed) sheet
5ml sesame oil
15ml rice-wine vinegar
25ml juice from the pickled ginger
5ml soy sauce
Salt to season
Method of preparation:
- Cut the squid into 3 cm diagonals.
- Combine the fish sauce, minced ginger and garlic, sambal, lime zest and coriander in a mixing bowl to create the dressing.
- Use the dressing to marinate the squid for 1 hour prior to cooking.
- Preheat a sauté pan over a high heat, add grapeseed oil and heat until almost at smoking point.
- Sear the squid on each side for 45 seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat and squeeze the lime juice over the squid.
Nori and Rice Salad
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl, season and toss to coat.
Carrot and Ginger Dressing
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the garlic, ginger and carrots and sweat.
- Season with salt, pepper and coriander. Cook until slightly softened.
- Add the juice and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the cream and simmer for two minutes.
- Place the mixture in a blender process until smooth.
- Strain into a bowl and cool for service.
- Place the nori sheet in a dry frying pan and turn it until crispy.
- Blitz to a powder in a blender.
- In a bowl, mix the nori powder with all the remaining dressing ingredients until well combined.
- Place the rice salad in the centre of each plate.
- Place the hot squid on top.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and the nori mayonnaise.
- Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.
Name of the Training college: Galway International Hotel School, GMIT
Address: Galway Mayo Institute of Technology, Dept of Culinary Arts, Dublin Road, Galway City.
Contact Name: Viana Lukau
Viana Lukau was born in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and is currently a resident in the Republic of Ireland. She is an ambitious and energetic person and has returned to study Culinary Arts and Gastronomy Science as mature a student at the Galway Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT). She works part time at Flannery’s Hotel in Galway city as a commis chef. She has a passion for food especially pastry and baking and looks forward to a future in the food industry.