Dish Name: Bourbon infused Squid, Almonds, Baba Ghanoush, Tomato salsa
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
List of ingredients:
2 large squid
50ml of Bourbon
½ tsp of dried dilsk powder
50g flaked almonds
100g panko breadcrumbs
1 beaten egg
100g seasoned flour
1 garlic clove skin on
Grated zest of 1/4 lemon and 5ml lemon juice
20ml olive oil
10g ml Greek style yoghurt
Salt and black pepper
150g tinned tomatoes
½ clove garlic
Pinch of sugar
5g tomato puree
¼ red pepper deseeded and chopped
¼ green pepper deseeded and chopped
25g diced peeled tomato flesh
20ml olive oil
8ml sherry vinegar
100g stale bread
1 large baguette
Watercress salad leaves
20ml rapeseed oil
Juice of a ¼ lemon
Method of Preparation:
- Wash the squid carefully, remove the beak, internal shell (pen), innards, and membranes. Trim the tentacles.
- Wash carefully and marinade the body and the tentacles in the whiskey for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the marinade roughly chop and place in a food processor to mince.
- Add dried dilsk and season with salt and pepper.
- Allow the mix to chill and then shape into 4cm diameter balls. Return to the fridge to set.
- After 30 minutes coat in the seasoned flour, egg wash and then the combined breadcrumbs and almonds. Deep fry at 180°C until golden brown.
- Place the aubergines directly on the hob and roast for 15 minutes until the skin is burnt.
- Roast the charred aubergines with the garlic in a hot oven at 180ºC until soft.
- Remove the soft flesh, allow to drain in a colander to remove excess water.
- Place the aubergine, garlic, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, tahini paste, salt and black pepper.
- Soak the stale bread with the olive oil and vinegar.
- Transfer to a food processor, add the tinned tomatoes, sugar, garlic and puree.
- Blanch and refresh the diced peppers and add to the tomato mix with the diced tomato flesh.
- Slice the baguette thinly and drizzle with rape seed oil and sea salt. Toast under the grill until golden brown and crisp.
- Place the baba ghanoush in the centre of the plate.
- Toss the salad leaves in some rapeseed oil and lemon juice.
- Arrange attractively on tip of the baba ghanoush. Place the squid bonbons on top.
Garnish with the baguette crisp for height and drizzle the plate with the tomato salsa.
Name of the Training college: Galway International Hotel School, GMIT
Address: Dept of Culinary Arts
Contact Name: Anne O’ Leary
Anne O’ Leary has been part of the Irish Culinary Education Landscape since 1994 when she joined GMIT. She has worked in fine dining restaurants in Clare and Galway. Anne holds a primary degree in education and a MSc in new product developments and culinary innovation. Anne has had many successes mentoring students for national and international competitions. Anne has the privileged position of shaping the minds of future chefs.