Dish Name: Grilled Octopus with Corn, Apple and Pickled Black Garlic
Preparation Time: 3 Months (For pickled black garlic)
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
List of ingredients:
200g cooked octopus
10g apple puree
Pickled Black garlic
300ml apple vinegar
1 bulb black garlic
20ml Olive Oil
2 sprigs dill
Pinch sea salt
Method of preparation:
- Lightly season the octopus with salt and olive oil.
- Lightly grill the octopus to warm through.
- Sweat the sweetcorn in the butter for 5 minutes.
- Puree the sweetcorn and check for seasoning.
Pickled Black Garlic
- Bring the vinegar, water, sugar to the boil.
- Place in a Kiln jar and store in the refrigerator.
- The black garlic needs to be pickled for at least 3 months.
- Remove from the pickle and puree 25g of the garlic.
- Place the corn sauce on a warm plate.
- Add the black garlic puree into the centre of the corn sauce.
- Put the grilled octopus beside the sauce.
- Pipe the apple puree on top.
- Garnish with dill and a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt.
Name of the Training college: Galway International Hotel School, GMIT
Address: Dept of Culinary Arts, Galway Mayo Institute of Technology, Dublin Rd, Galway City.
Contact Name: Martin Ruffley
Chef Profile: Martin Ruffley began cooking in the Defence Forces in 1979, working his way through the partie system. He has served in the Lebanon, Bosnia. Since leaving the army he has cooked in Melbourne, Sydney, New York and Galway. He has completed a PhD in genetically modified foods from National University of Ireland, Galway. He has been a Culinary Arts Lecturer in GMIT since 2010. During which time, he has staged in 1, 2 and 3-star Michelin restaurant’s in Helsinki, London and Norway respectively. Cooking and food are a way of life for Martin and he is always willing to learn.
Add a Comment